In 1973, four British-born Canadians took a close look at the quality of wine in Canada and compared it to what they knew was available worldwide. The selection in Canada at the time was sparse, barely a fraction of the wines available; in order to remedy this, these four intrepid men founded Opimian, a non-profit cooperative dedicated to providing Canadians with the total wine experience.
Opimian is Canada’s premier wine club. Our members enjoy an exclusive selection of over 500 wines, tasted and selected by our wine experts. They also have intimate access to the wine world and invitations to tasting events across the country at one of our 27 chapters (geographical regions). Each chapter has an appointed Area Representative, volunteers who are the face of Opimian in the community.
Opimian provides its members with an experience not found anywhere else in Canada. Members have access to:
• Over 500 quality wines, spirits, Ports and Champagnes from around the world, exclusive to Opimian
not found in Canadian liquor stores.
• Unique wine programs – Opimian Select and Founders’ Choice
• Wine education, including tasting notes, wine and food pairing, cellaring and serving guidelines.
• Wine tastings and tours, some led by world-renowned winemakers, sommeliers and experts.
• A subscription to Quench, Canada’s food and drink magazine.
Opimian has been a member of the IWCA since 1991 and is one of the founding members.